BB creams, the predecessor to cult-favorite CC creams, are just one of the many amazing Korean beauty products that we just can’t get enough of. Instead of having to apply sunblock, moisturizer, anti-aging serum, and foundation, BB creams simplify your morning routine by combining all of the above into one tiny little tube. While this sounds like a great deal for most beauty lovers—who doesn’t want a one-and-done product?—the many ingredients that make up BB cream are not always kind to those with oily skin.
Just because you have oily skin, however, doesn’t mean you should have to miss out on this glorious multipurpose product. While most BB creams tend to be too heavy for those who fight overactive sebum on the regular, there are BB creams that specifically target oily skin issues. From lightweight formulas to mattifying finishes and creams that contain salicylic acid, oily skinned ladies can rejoice because your beauty routine just got a whole lot easier.
Curious as to what the best BB creams are for oily skin? We have rounded up a list of 10 best BB cream for oily skin available on the market.
Top 10 best BB cream for oily skin in UK 2021
1. Dr. Jart+ Premium BB Beauty Balm SPF 45
This cult-favorite has thousands of reviews praising it for being perfect for acne-prone skin. An added bonus is it has an SPF of 45 so you know you are keeping your skin protected as you go about your day. Choose from three different shades—light to medium, medium to deep, and deep—for complexion perfection.
This formula was one of the first U.S. brand BB creams to be introduced to the market so it has a lot of loyal fans.
Peppermint, chamomile, lavender, jasmine, ylang-ylang, hibiscus — all delicious in a cup of tea, and all found in this SPF 30 BB cream to control oil production and calm irritation. The medium-coverage formula also blurs those stubborn large pores around your nose, leaving your skin with a hydrated matte finish.
3. Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream
This BB cream moisturizes, tints, and provides SPF protection, says Erum Ilyas, a board-certified dermatologist in Philadelphia. It’s a great choice for a wide range of skin tones, since it comes in 20 different shades.
4. Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer Natural Skin Perfector
Laura Mercier took its original tinted moisturizer and revamped it with a new formula and a wider shade range. With added skincare ingredients like macadamia and kukui seed oils, this skin tint provides an instant natural finish—no Paris IG filter necessary.
5. Jane Iredale Glow Time Full Coverage Mineral BB Cream
Dr. Robinson recommends this “clean, mineral product,” which is paraben-free, sulfate-free, and phthalate-free. Not only does it smooth your complexion and minimize pores, but it also protects skin from UV and free-radical damage.
6. SMASHBOX COSMETICS Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35
This SPF-packed formula works flawlessly on oily skin, dry skin, or combination skin. With a light coverage, a natural finish, and a creamy consistency, it’s ideal for everyday use if you’re after just a little bit of skin-perfecting. For more coverage, try using this as a primer and topping it with a little bit of powder foundation to boost coverage and keep shine to a minimum.
“I must say that it had excellent staying power,” writes Ipster Gforce40. “It lasted all day and into the evening. Love products with SPF too. Such a time and money saver!”
7. Clinique Anti-Blemish Solutions BB Cream
Clinique’s Anti-Blemish BB Solutions Cream is a lightweight, oil-free formula that will last for up to 12-hours on combination to oily skin types. It’s buildable coverage, mattifying finish and UVA/UVB protection makes it perfect for skin that needs a little extra help.
8. Erborian CC Creme Radiance Face Cream
This CC cream not only color corrects red, irritated skin, but it also helps treat it. The formula contains Centella asiatica (nicknamed “cica”)—an antioxidant-rich herb known to calm inflammation, boost collagen, and stimulate cell growth. So that redness you woke up with this morning? Yeah, you can go ahead and say good-bye to that.
9. Bobbi Brown nude finish tinted moisturiser SPF 15
Looking for a barely-there touch of colour with skin-friendly ingredients? Then Bobbi Brown’s tinted moisturiser is the one. Ideal for normal-dry skin types, this sheer formula gives you just enough coverage to let your skin look like its best self, while also providing a hint of moisture, which we rated. It has a little light sun protection with SPF 15, and comes in nine shades.
10. Garnier SkinActive BB Cream
This affordable BB cream has definitely earned my personal seal of approval. I’ve actually used this product for years, and I prefer it over any of the other drugstore and high-end BB creams I’ve tried thus far — and I’ve tried a lot. It keeps oil at bay all day long, and the coverage is pretty solid — it can totally be built up to full.
How to choose the best BB cream for oily skin?
The perfect low-maintenance makeup, BB cream is a super versatile skincare product that acts as a tinted moisturizer, foundation, and sunscreen all in one. But shopping for a BB cream when you have combination skin can be a challenge—you need to find one that won’t add extra oil to your skin, but won’t dry it out, either. So how can you find the right BB cream to help you achieve this happy medium? We tapped three New York City-based dermatologists to learn more about combination skin and find out how to choose a BB cream that’s best suited to this skin type. Here’s what they recommend looking for:
• Lightweight and oil-free formulas. “Some BB creams are too heavy, which can trap oil against the skin,” dermatologist Dendy Engelman, MD, tells Health. So make sure you opt for a BB cream that has a non-heavy, gel-like texture.
• Hyaluronic acid. This is a top ingredient for moisturizing the skin without clogging pores. “It’s a natural humectant, so it attracts and retains moisture on your skin while boosting firmness and plumpness,” Debra Jaliman, MD, tells Health.
• Sunscreen. If you’ll be wearing your BB cream daily, sun protection is an important aspect, so be sure to choose an option with an SPF of 15 or more.
• BB creams that absorb oil without dryness. According to Joshua Zeichner, MD, director of cosmetic and clinical research in dermatology at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City, there are BB creams specifically designed for combination skin that “absorb oil to mattify the T-zone, without causing any dryness to the cheeks or jaw line.” These options can also help minimize the look of pores.
• Antioxidants. Formulas that contain vitamin E, niacin, and other antioxidants are the best option if you’re looking for skin-brightening benefits from your BB cream.
• Glycerin. In the winter months, you’ll want to choose a product that incorporates more moisturizing ingredients to help combat that dreaded dry winter skin. Dr. Jaliman suggests choosing an option with glycerin as well as hyaluronic acid for extra hydration.
• Salicylic acid. If you’ve been struggling with breakouts, Dr. Engelman recommends going with a BB cream that contains salicylic acid. “It’s a great ingredient that gently exfoliates dead skin cells and clears up blackheads by unclogging pores, without drying the skin out,” she tells Health. But keep in mind that using too much salicylic acid can irritate the drier areas of your skin, so use sparingly.
Based on these guidelines, we’ve compiled a list of seven dermatologist-approved BB creams for combination skin below. These multi-tasking products contain only the best doctor-recommended ingredients for dry-yet-oily skin types, so you can trust that they’ll give you lightweight coverage and a perfectly even skin tone every time you wear them.
Picking up basic stuff like a BB cream is not a mindless job for some of us. When I say some of us, if you flinched, you know who you are. Yes, the ones with acne-prone skin, I’m talking to you. While finding a cream that controls oil and acne is tough enough, finding makeup that lasts longer but is not too fancy or cumbersome is twice as hard. There are a lot of options available, which complicates it further – because you are confused. We hope our recommendation will help you in finding the best BB cream for oily skin.